Sunday, October 5, 2008

Germany for the night

At 5:30 pm on Friday, I got on a bus with my Holocaust and Genocide class to go to Hamburg, Germany and the Neuengamme Concentration Camp for a quick 24 study tour. We arrived in Hamburg at around 10pm, threw our stuff down and went out. Stephanie's friend Jordan has a cousin in Hamburg, so she took the three of us out to the red light district of Hamburg. We had a wonderful time. The cousin's husband (early 20's) bought the three of us German beers to try. We got back to the hostel late and woke up early the next morning. My one night in Germany showed me again how much I love that country compared to Denmark. Something about how the people were acting and interacting.

This was my first time at a concentration camp. I was far less emotional than I thought I would be and I don't know why. With the little sleep I got, I thought it would affect me even more. We were given a two hour tour of the museum and grounds. It was truly surreal to walk on the ground that so many Jews worked to their deaths on. The only building still intact for visitors is a brick factory. It was massive and we learned was built by hand by Jewish prisoners. After a few hours there, we got back on the bus and made our way back to Copenhagen.

Stephanie, Zoya, and I finally made it to Rust, a popular Danish night club. It was a ton of fun and I even convinced someone I was in medical school. Not that hard to do.
Conversation went like this:
Where are you all from?
The states.
Why are you here?
Studying.
Where?
(This is where I start to falsly answer all our questions): Copenhagen University
What do you study?
Medicine.
Oh, so you have classes at Panum Institute?
Yes. (not a lie since my cancer class is taught there)
Wow.

Oh and we met an anti-semitic italian from westchester county, ny who has lived here for 5 years. it was fun telling him he was saying things to the wrong group of americans (3 jews).

It was raining when we left, so we had to run to the bus stop and wait in the windy rain for a bit.

It was a really good weekend and I am now more excited than ever to go on my three week vacation. I still have to get through midterms this week though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ariella! This is Angie (I met you through Laura...) and I am totally creeping on your blog, but I swear it isn't creepy :)

a) Long time no see. I hope you are well!

b) So how was that holocaust and genocide class after all? (I was in it but had to drop it and might take it next semester....but still unsure)

c) I heard RUST was amazing and I am glad you like it...I need to go there!

Vi ses woman