Friday, September 5, 2008

I had a dream last night that I got on a plane and came home.

I think I had too high of expectations, so they are easily being crushed (maybe that is a bit too harsh of a word). I have moved to a new environment 5 times in the past 10 years and after years of analysis, I have discovered that it takes me approximately two years to feel like the place is my new home and a minimum of one full school year to make friends and at least 1 semester to make fake friends. So, here lies my predicament. I am only here for 4 months, so I need to speed up this process and I think I have so far. I was reminded by a friend how much I hated Case and Cleveland the first year and especially the first few months, but I miss it now, so that has obviously changed. For this reason, I am not freaking out about the fact that I haven't fallen in love with Copenhagen like so many of the other students here. But on the other hand, every single European city I have been to in my life, I have fallen in love with within several days. That is the one point of concern I have right now.

I met some more people this week who have been really wonderful and actually invite me to go out with them, unlike the people who I only ever felt like I was tagging along with last week. When I mentioned how badly I wanted to meet Danes, one of the girls says "oh, we hang out with two of them, we met them on the first day. you should hang out with us". So there you go, I am hoping this will turnout to be a positive experience and get my mind off of all the negative I feel.

The one bright point in the past few days has been planning for my two weeks of travel in October. I hope to go to London, Barcelona, Madrid, and maybe Bern/Zurich.

I am typically overly pessimistic about most areas of my life, minus only one in particular, so I am actually really trying to be optimistic about this experience. It has only been two weeks and it really can't get much worse (hmm now was that being overly pessimistic or optimistic...).

Although in good news, I had a meeting with the Rabbi's wife at the Chabad here and I will start volunteering next week along with one other student-Seth from Brandeis. She told me she could see the activist spark in me, which was nice of her to say, unless it was an insult-I don't know. I am really excited. It will give me something to do during the morning since my classes are all late in the afternoon and hopefully I'll meet some local Jews. She seemed so grateful for any help. Seth and I will help cook for some holidays and Friday nights, do some arts and crafts (though this is hard because most of the young kids don't know english yet), and help with some basic office work.

Hej Hej

No comments: